Recipe: Ricotta and Chive Pancakes with Maple Bacon Butter
Whatever you choose, enjoy your pancakes this year.
They’re so light and airy you could call them cloud cakes. They rise up when you cook them from the whipped egg whites and delicate ricotta. The chives give them a savoury taste and the bacon butter….Oh, the butter!
Keep it in the fridge for a week or put slices in the freezer for a future treat. It would be amazing lathered on a steak, as well a making the perfect topping for pancakes as all the flavour is right there, ready to melt into deliciousness.
125g cubed, very soft butter
6 rashers of thin pancetta (or 4 of streaky bacon)
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
A pinch of sea salt
1. Fry or grill your pancetta until brown and crispy and leave to cool.
2. Whip the butter in a food processor or with a food mixer until light and creamy.
3. Whip in the maple syrup and salt.
4. Crumble up the pancetta then mix into the butter, you can add a little bacon grease from the pan too for extra flavour.
5. Place the butter onto a sheet of baking parchment or cling film and then roll into a sausage.
6. Tightly wrap with cling film and refrigerate.
The Pancakes (makes 10)
3 eggs (separated)
95g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
2 pinches of salt
A small bunch of chopped chives
Sunflower oil for frying
1. Whisk together: egg yolks, milk, baking powder, flour and salt.
2. Stir in the chives then VERY lightly stir in the ricotta. Leave some lumps.
3. Whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks and fold in lightly, leaving some streaks of white.
4. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and add 3 tablespoons of batter for 3 pancakes at a time.
5. Cook for a couple of minutes on each side, turning gently to preserve the airiness.
6. Serve with the maple butter (and extra pancetta and maple syrup!)
*Tip Make double quantities of this, yes a whole pack of butter, then slice it into chunks and freeze for later.
The post Recipe: Ricotta and Chive Pancakes with Maple Bacon Butter appeared first on Village Life.
from Village Life https://ift.tt/2UcKTEc
Source Village Life